No yeast? That’s ok.
1.5 cups buttermilk*
3.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
*if you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can curdle the 1.5 cups of milk with 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Create a well and pour in buttermilk
- Combine to a slightly shaggy dough, then form the ball into a nice loaf. The dough should be slightly sticky at this point.
- Flour your hands and form into a round loaf. (You can add a little more flour or milk to achieve the right feel.)
- Score the loaf with a knife into an X, then poke a hole into the middle of the X with your finger.
- Bake at 400 F in a Dutch oven or on a cookie sheet/pizza stone for about 30-35 minutes until the crust is hard but sounds hollow inside if you tap or thump the shell.
Share pics in the comments of your loaves!
Here’s the video where I learned how to do this: