GREEN BAY, WI:3tacon (part two-o)

[3tacon on Flickr]
One of the funny things that Amy and I talked about when we were sitting around in the pub was how when we got MikeIAm’s emails that simultaneously we PANICKED about somehow not being able to get to Chicago.
“As God is my witness…” the phrases seemed to start out every time we mentioned the fact that o’Hell might not be accepting incoming flights. Then the discussion moved onto the aftermath of the weekends; where we all get home to our respective families and they see a tired, somewhat hungover, slightly physically broken, yet grinning stupidly, husk of a person and they say “I don’t think I’m going to let you do this again.”
Once the initial panic passes (that point when we realize that no one is capable of stopping us from doing this) we say “you aren’t the boss of me.” and then start planning for next year.
I was surprised to see how pervasive this whole scenario was amongst the con folks.
Its a funny thing these gatherings.

Now, we’ve all discussed it ad nauseum, however, I finally think I get it. (‘It’ being that whole thing about my invisible friends and how important they are to me.)
I’m invested in these people. I read about their lives (well parts of them, not everyone goes into total detail) and, depending on how long I’ve been reading them, I know a lot of the back stories. Most of the time there is sympathy and empathy for them (generally if I don’t sympathize, I tend to fall off on the reading). These people are witty, human and when we all get together, its generally a giant reunion even with the folks I’ve never met before.
You get an inkling of what is going on in their heads even if they aren’t loquacious in person because you know what they write and that tends to be how they think.
So, with that all in mind, 40 of my best friends and I proceeded to freak out Green Bay freakln’ WI in the dead of winter.
We missed the storm of the century by a few weeks with the equivalent of the AT’s trail Magic in what I will here after refer to as “Con Magic” (until I come up with a better name for it-like Gertrude or something equally ridiculous.)

Friday night in Green Bay was at an Italian restaurant.
We stuffed our faces with carb-y goodness (to absorb the impending alcohol at the Bad Bar II(TM)) and then proceeded onto the bar.
I’m not a huge drinker.
I think I’ve had maybe a glass of wine in the last year, not because I am a teetotaler or morally against it (I’m morally against violence as a part of religion), but because I promptly go to sleep after drinking it 99% of the time. So I wasn’t buying anything at the bar and I didn’t notice that I lost my driver’s license and one of my credit cards on the way over there.
I did notice after midnight or so. I backtracked where I went that night as much as I could, but certain areas were covered by a new layer of snow. Didn’t find either of my items.
No one reported it or called me back with success.
The next day I spent calling my card companies and getting them de-activated (after checking that they hadn’t been used) and then got Tex to scan my old passport and DL’s for a half-assed photo ID at the airport. I also checked with the rental car company and the hotel to make certain that they got their pound of flesh; luckily they were pre-authorized charges and no arguments there.
I did miss the Door County tour (which I didn’t like) as well as hanging out with Kari (which I REALLY didn’t like) but I did get to hang out with Bullshit and Amy (which I liked a lot). I wasn’t wigging out…which was very strange for me.
Also during the day, Amy and I went out to some stores to forage for emergency rations of PeptoBismal and Pedialyte for Trancejen (who effectively missed the entire weekend with a flu that was a monster) and for a toothbrush, toothpaste and other necessities for Mare (her luggage went AWOL and didn’t show up until about 10 minutes before she was scheduled to leave for home-stupid Merc Rx.) I did still have one card that I had left in the room when I pared down for the evening, so I wasn’t without funds.

Saturday night was the sleigh ride, so I donned my fox ear hat and beelined for the barn kitties. I picked one up and he/she hopped up on my shoulder and rubbed my hat’s ears.
So sweet.

The night was a bit more low key but still good and we all stuffed our faces with booyah and traded swag and hung out. Quote of the night was “Fredlet, you are cute, but you are SO evil!”

I came back to the room took a shower (taking care to close the dang blinds…especially the gap where it opens on its own…because mooning Green Bay when you aren’t drunk is just lame.) pawed through my stuff again in the vain hopes that I was just a disorganized dork then went to bed.

Next up:Sunday.
(Should only take me ’til next year to get that done. You are in luck!)

One thought on “GREEN BAY, WI:3tacon (part two-o)

  1. So, you’re just getting around to posting about the weetacon?? Sheesh! ;) I liked the pictures. Was great meeting you and everyone I talked to there.
    I wish Jen had felt better, but we got the best of her on the way there and back.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s